Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Yummy: eight favorite fairy tales

By Cousins, Lucy

Bibliography:
Publisher:
Candlewick Press, p2009
ISBN-13: 978-0-7636-4474-1ISBN-10: 0-7636-4474-9

Plot:
The plot is simple, eight traditional fairy tales, and familiar to all or soon to become familiar to the youngster first discovering favored fairy tales and fantasy. The nonchelontness of justice for the antagonist contained within will most likely not bother little ones reading, while adults may even pause to cast a chuckle to the wolf’s run of bad luck. What makes this book so unlike is the artistry, bright and bold colors dominate this book. The drawings are simple, almost childlike in nature. On each page, the lead character is drawn and colored overly “larger” in appearance to establish distinction and emphasis.

Critical Analysis:
I found myself reliving childhood memories while reading this book of fairly tales. As well as the occasional chuckle as I viewed the undoubtedly fate of the Big Bad Wolf from Red’s and Piggy’s neighborhood. Though I wonder if little one’s could really understand the concept drawings of animals meeting their justified fate (ah those nasty nemesis’s). What kept me coming back and rereading was the drawing themselves and the colors, bold and bright. I felt as though I had missed something even though the pictures on each page were simple, but there was so much to see. What I also noticed was the unusual was the faces of the characters, many times smiling excessively it seems.

Reviews & Awards:
Booklist starred 10/15/09 - The writing is simple and direct, as befits these traditional tales. Illustrated in Cousins’ signature style, the bold, childlike pictures feature broad strokes of black paint defining the forms of characters and elements of the setting.
School Library Journal starred 09/01/09
Publishers Weekly starred 07/20/09
Kirkus Review starred 07/01/09

Connections:
Immediately what comes to mind is the compare/contrast of fairy tale books and the introduction of fairy tales (for younger students). The older students will understand and appreciate the humor contained within, while the younger will enjoy the simple drawings and bright colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment