Monday, April 19, 2010

Rules


By Cynthia Lord
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Publish Date: 2006
ISBN-13: 978-0-439-44382-1

Plot:
Young Catherine is a middle school student who lives with a younger brother with autism. Throughout the book, Catherine battles her frustration with and at the same time her love for her brother. As with many tween's, being singled out is not "cool" and of course with a brother like David, Catherine is bound to face embarrassment. But this summer proves to be different as new neighbor moves in, and a new friendship emerges. Catherine must realize that many of the "rules" she hands out, might just come back to haunt her in the end.

Critical Analysis:
In my opinion, this book is very well written and explores all of the typical strengths and weakness found in a family, especially one working with a handicap child. Readers get a first-hand insight into Catherine's protective and caring nature towards her brother, while at the same time her need to be herself. Readers all gain insight into the pain Catherine feels towards her needs and her brothers needs, especially with her parents; basic time together and feeling loved.
Between living with a brother with autism, Catherine also befriends Jason, a young boy in a wheel chair unable to speak, and having to use communication cards. She begins to help his express new words and explore life as he has never had the chance. However, when pressed by others to introduce Jason to her "regular" friends, Catherine hides, like a coward, fearful of what others will say; or judge. To a certain extent this is normal teen aged behavior, however it has lasting effects of the individuals involved.
On a personal note, I can relate to Catherine as I grew up in a house where my father was a quadriplegic and totally helpless and in a wheelchair. My mother and I had to help him every step of the way. I can understand Catherine's embarrassment. And what hit me the hardest were the way people stare at you and your family. Catherine expresses the same sentiment, pity, questioning, or even staring right past you as if you don't exist. I'm not sure just what people want in these situations, even today it's hard not to understand why people stare, I know I would and do. It's hard not to understand what happened and how people in these situations get through it. The second concept mentioned in the book, is when Catherine is with her dad outside in his garden trying to get some time with dad. Unfortunately, dad want alone time with himself before he has to deal with David. I can relate, as it was just my mother and I working together to help my dad, my mother did not have the time nor the energy to spend with me, and I was forced to spend many days and nights entertaining myself or "daddy-sitting." Very similar to what Catherine does. And you just get to the point where you have had enough, as Catherine finally does right by Jason and invites him to the dance. She also find courage enough to let her dad know that he needs to be in her life as well, and start taking better ownership of David. I don't know that I ever had this kind of strength, but then again, this is only a book, and all books have "happy endings" - right?



Awards/Reviews:
Lamplighter Award Nominee 2008-2009
Newbery Honor Book 2007

Kirkus Review (March 1, 2006)
Middle-grade readers will recognize her longing for acceptance and be intrigued by this exploration of dealing with differences.

Publishers Weekly (April 17, 2006)
A rewarding story that may well inspire readers to think about others' points of view.

School Library Journal (April 1, 2006)
Lord has candidly captured the delicate dynamics in a family that revolves around a child's disability. Set in coastal Maine, this sensitive story is about being different, feeling different, and finding acceptance.


Curriculum Connections:
This book would be good to use with 5th grade students as they transition into middle school. It would also be a great tie in for Citizenship Traits and the definition of "friendships." Finally, if you were to look at what makes us the same and what makes us different, handicaps and disabilities for middle school-aged students.

No comments:

Post a Comment