Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I Can Draw a Weeposaur and Other Dinosaurs


Greenfield, Eloise. I can draw a weeposaur and other dinosaurs.Greenwillow Books, 2001.

Illustrated: Jan Spivey Gilchrist
Publisher: ISBN-13: 978-0-688-17634-1


Poetry Review: I Can Draw a Weeposaur and Other Dinosaurs is a fun book filled with simple, short themed poems centered around dinosaurs and everyday life as seen through the eyes of a young child. Many of the poems do not feature a distinct pattern or rhyme, but instead is written as "free verse" throughout. The pictures are bright and eye-catching and imaginary; best suited for young children or better yet, from the eyes of a child.
Poem Excerpt: Eloise Greenfield, "My Dinosaurs"
My dinosaurs
walk from my brush
and live,
they do what my
moving hand
tells them to do,
they are paint
on paper.
I love them.
Poem Introduction to Children:
I chose this poem to start with as an introduction to young children into poetry. Dinosaurs will be a topic that captures the imaginations of many children, especially younger aged children. Then using the poems to introduce the different styles of poetry, including free verse. This would be great to introduce after perhaps looking at Nursery Rhymes.

No comments:

Post a Comment